The Künstler- und Stipendiatenhaus Salzwedel thrives on the partnership between the district of Altmarkkreis Salzwedel and the state of Saxony-Anhalt. It has unique positioning features, enabling it to have a “beacon effect” and serve as a centre-point for artistic and cultural work in Saxony-Anhalt.
These features include the following:
- High-profile artists’ house in the state of Saxony-Anhalt with an international orientation
- The only centre in Saxony-Anhalt offering residential scholarships to artists
- High-quality and coveted working scholarships
- Portfolio of renowned artists
- Unique interdisciplinary orientation (art, writing, music)
Since 1997, more than 100 scholarship holders have been given the opportunity to work here as artists on a secure financial basis. The state awards its scholarships consecutively through its art advisory board, literature council and music council, thereby ensuring excellence. The scholarship holders come and have come from Saxony-Anhalt, other federal states, as well as the whole world (USA, Great Britain, China, Korea, India, Brazil, France, Taiwan, Austria).
For the district of Altmarkkreis Salzwedel, the Künstler- und Stipendiatenhaus Salzwedel has become a permanent fixture and flagship. The Verein zur Förderung des Künstler- und Stipendiatenhaus, the association charged with promoting the centre, is committed to improving the living and working conditions of scholarship holders on a permanent basis.